25 October 2016

Spooky Halloween cupcakes


I had SUCH a blast making these little guys for a friends' little boys' Halloween themed first birthday party!

They are a mix of vanilla, chocolate and red velvet sponges topped with vanilla buttercream. I made all the little fondant toppers by hand, putting my Sugarcraft course into practice! Cute little spiders, ghosts, Frankenstein heads and pumpkins


One of the simplest toppers (bar the sprinkles) was the gravestone. 

It is simply half of a Biscoff biscuit and I wrote RIP on each using Wilton's black decorating icing squeezed into a piping bag fitted with a fine writing tip. Luckily I had both a piping bag and tip to hand because I had thought that the icing would actually come with something to write with - apparently not! You could alternatively use Royal Icing or melted chocolate. I then crumbed some biscuit crumbs on top to act as the "dirt".


The sprinkles are a mixture of some I picked up back in September from TK Maxx, some black sugar sprinkles from Hobbycraft, some chocolate vermicelli sprinkles and popping candy sprinkles both from Sainsburys.

To colour the buttercream and fondant I used the Wilton food colouring gels

I hope that this has given you a bit of inspiration to get baking this Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment