20 June 2016

Cheese scones

Cheese scones

No I haven't lost my mind - this really is a savoury bake! I could eat cheese scones all day every day, I kid you not. These rarely (who am I kidding, they never) make it into anyone else's tummies.

Ingredients:-
225g self raising flour
Pinch salt
Pinch cayenne pepper
1 tsp baking powder
55g butter
100g cheddar cheese
80-90 ml milk, plus extra for glazing
Extra cheese for topping the scones (and lots of it!)

Method:-
Preheat oven with the baking tray inside, lined with baking paper, to 180 degrees.

In a medium to large bowl sift together the flour, salt, cayenne pepper and baking powder.

Cut the butter into cubes, place in the bowl and then using a mixer with a paddle attachment, slowly mix until the flour and butter resemble something akin to breadcrumbs. You can of course rub the mixture together with your fingers if you would prefer but I am a slightly lazy baker and a mixer wins every time!

Sprinkle the grated cheese into the breadcrumb mixture and rub in until the cheese is evenly distributed. 

With the mixer still running on the slowest setting, add the milk little by little until the dough comes together. You're looking for a soft firm dough that's not too wet. You may not need all of the milk to get the desired consistency here.

Lightly flour a surface tip the dough out onto it. Now I am not a fan of a rolling pin, so using the palms of my hands I press the dough out until it is approximately 3cm thick and then using a medium sized cutter, press out the rounds, reshape and keep cutting out scones until I've used all of the dough.

Brush the tops of the scones with the extra milk and sprinkle a little lot of cheese on the top of each scone before popping in the oven.

Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown, cheese deliciously melted and yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment